Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ms. Coyle Visits Butterfly Cakes

I'm going to date myself, but here goes...Last year, I missed my 20th high school reunion in New Jersey because I had just given birth to my second son. But I had a lot of fun reconnecting via email with everyone and seeing what they're up to. One of the more pleasant surprises was an email from my old home economics teacher, Ms. Coyle, who retired last year. (Well, her name is Marcia, but I can't seem to bring myself to call her anything but "Ms. Coyle"!) I took her class called "Foods" my freshman year and remember loving the baking segment! I should have known then what my calling was. Today, Ms. Coyle happened to be passing through San Francisco on her way to a wedding, and during her 3 hour layover, she paid a visit to Butterfly Cakes! We talked about old high school teachers (Ms. Spiker, Ms. Vitale and Ms. Harlan), cakes and rolled fondant. Now that she's retired, Ms. Coyle is experimenting with making wedding cakes. What a nice surprise and an honor to be tracked down by a teacher from 20 years ago!

1 comment:

Jubilee Lau said...

That is so cool!! Ms. Colye must be so proud of her student! :)